Bluebird on the Mountain Concerts
It all started in 2004 with, “Wouldn’t this be a wonderful place to have a concert?!” Standing on the plaza in front of the incredible 1950s building with the giant dome (which houses the Seyfert Telescope) and looking out at the surrounding oak and hickory forest, one can easily get a sense of how special this place would be for listening to talented musicians. On one of the tallest hilltops in Nashville, the concerts are scheduled around glorious sunsets on the portico of the Vanderilt Dyer Observatory. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, food, and drink and relax on the Observatory’s front lawn to enjoy a fabulous evening of sunset, music, and stars. After the performance, when the stars begin to shine, the telescope is opened for visitors to cap their night with views of celestial wonders.
The 2015 Bluebird on the Mountain at Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory Concert Series dates will be as follows:
- May 16 - Gordon Kennedy, Danny Flowers, and Karla Davis
- June 27 - Tony Arata, Fred Knobloch, Thom Schuyler, and Jelly Roll Johnson
- July 25 - Lari White, Chuck Cannon, and another to be announced
- August 15 - Tony Haselden, Walker Hayes, and Heather Morgan
- September 12 - Travis Meadows, Lucie Silvas, and Jeremy Spillman
- September 19 – Gordon Kennedy, Karla Davis, and Danny Flowers
- October 3 - Jim Collins, Brett James, and another to be announced
Important Notes about the 2015 Bluebird on the Mountain Concert Series:
- SEASON TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 1 AT 10AM. A limited number of individual concert tickets go on sale at Ticketmaster on the first day of the prior month. For example, a limited number of individual tickets for the July 25 concert will go on sale June 1.
- The performer lineup for the 2015 concert series will be announced in the spring.
- Concerts take place rain or shine. They will only be cancelled with the threat of tornado or severe lightning. No exchange, no refunds, no re-entry. A rain date of September 19 has been set aside in case of a concert cancellation.
Thanks to Amy Kurland and Erika Wollam-Nichols of the Bluebird Cafe‘ fame, we are producing a series of in-the-round style events that have been absolutely wonderful. The performers have included the top songwriters in Nashville. In 2015, we celebrate our 12th cooperative Bluebird concert season in May and continue monthly through October. Tickets for these concerts are sold through Ticketmaster. We encourage carloads of people to attend by purchasing a “carload ticket.” Bring up to 8 people in your car. No RVs please.
Some of the performers at our music events
Billy Adair and The Establishment
Blair School Tuba Ensemble
Blair Brass Quintet
|S. Kirk Johnson (Jelly Roll)
J. Fred Knobloch
With a big, giant THANK YOU to everyone of them!