Bluebird on the Mountain Concerts
It all started in 2004 with, “Wouldn’t this be a wonderful place to have a concert?!” Standing on the plaza in front of the incredible 1950s building with the giant dome (which houses the Seyfert Telescope) and looking out at the surrounding oak and hickory forest, one can easily get a sense of how special this place would be for listening to talented musicians. On one of the tallest hilltops in Nashville, the concerts are scheduled around glorious sunsets on the portico of the Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, food, and drink and relax on the Observatory’s front lawn to enjoy a fabulous evening of sunset, music, and stars. After the performance, when the stars begin to shine, the telescope is opened for visitors to cap their night with views of celestial wonders.
Important Notes about the 2016 Bluebird on the Mountain Concert Series:
- BLUEBIRD ON THE MOUNTAIN TICKETS NOT PURCHASED THROUGH THE OFFICIAL TICKETMASTER WEBSITE ARE NOT VALID AND WILL NOT BE HONORED!
- 2016 SEASON TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT!. A limited number of individual concert tickets go on sale at Ticketmaster on the first day of the prior month. For example, a limited number of individual tickets for the July 25 concert will go on sale June 1.
- Because the concerts are outside events, there is the possibility of severe weather cancellations. The determination to cancel a concert will be made by 3:00pm on the concert date. No exchange, no refunds, no re-entry. A rain date will be set aside in case of a concert cancellation.
- The Seyfert Telescope is located on the second floor of the observatory. There are twenty steps leading to the second floor.
- For the safety of all observatory guests, close-toed footwear is highly recommended.
- Vehicles larger than a standard-size school bus will not fit through the gate. No RVs are allowed.
- Please adhere to the Bluebird Cafe’s “Shhhhh” Policy – We encourage talking before the show, between sets and after the show but ask that during the performances, to keep talking as low as possible.
- Vanderbilt University is a smoke-free campus, including Dyer Observatory. Smoking is prohibited in all buildings on campus and on the grounds with the exception of designated outdoor smoking areas.
- Pets are not allowed.
The 2016 Bluebird on the Mountain concert dates are as follow:
- May 14 – Start time 8 PM. Performers are Chris DeStefano, Ashley Gorley, and Lee Thomas Miller.
- June 25 – Start time 8 PM. Performers are the Bluebird Cafe’s Own Fab Four – Tony Arata, Jellyroll Johnson, J. Fred Knobloch, and Thom Schulyer.
- July 23 – Start time 8 PM. Performers are JT Harding, Alyssa Bonagura, and Jon Nite.
- August 20 – Start time 8 PM. Performers are Mark Irwin, Tommy Lee James, and Josh Osborne.
- September 17 – Start time 7 PM. Performers are Gary Burr, Georgia Middleman, Don Schlitz with special guest, Jellyroll Johnson.
- October 1 – Start time 7 PM. Performers are Kent Blazy, Danny Myrick, and Leslie Satcher.
- Rain Date: September 10 – Start time 7PM.
Thanks to Amy Kurland and Erika Wollam-Nichols of the Bluebird Cafe‘ fame, we are producing a series of in-the-round style events that have been absolutely wonderful. The performers have included the top songwriters in Nashville. In 2016, we celebrate our 13th cooperative Bluebird concert season in May and continue monthly through October. Tickets for these concerts are sold through Ticketmaster. We encourage carloads of people to attend by purchasing a “carload ticket.” Bring up to eight people in your car. No RVs please.
Some of the performers at our music events
With a big, giant THANK YOU to everyone of them!