Summer Camps for Rising 5th-8th Grades
Summer will be here before we know it, and Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory will hold summer space science camps. Download the 2023 info flier HERE. As of May 17, 2023, there are multiple spots open in both camps.
July 10-14 for rising 5th-6th graders
July 17-21 for rising 7th-8th graders
The Dyer Observers Space Science Camps support middle-school students in their exploration of the worlds of science, math, engineering, and technology, and open up their minds to future career possibilities in these fields.
The highlight of the week is a Journey to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville for a day-long adventure. Other activities may include:
- Interact with cutting-edge research astronomers
- Learn how telescopes work, and build your own
- Safely view the dynamic surface of the Sun through a solar telescope and attend a nighttime telescope viewing
- Learn about basic electronics, and use the knowledge to build working projects
- Construct a functioning model Hubble Space Telescope
- Make your own realistic models of comets, and learn how craters are formed
- Design and launch bottle rockets as an introduction to rocketry
The $350 cost for the 2023 camp includes all materials plus everything related to the field trip: transportation, lunch, and a tour of the United States Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.
Merit scholarships are not awarded, but financial aid is available to those students who demonstrate financial need. For consideration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with
- A brief statement as to why you are requesting aid
- What amount between 0-$350 you feel comfortable paying
Alex will respond with with a discount code to use during the registration process.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER Both sections are on the page, 001 is for 5th-6th grade and 002 is for 7th-8th grade. Click on the one you are interested in to start the process and proceed to checkout.
- If you are already registered in the VUPACE system: use your existing user name and password to continue onto the forms that need filling out and process payment.
- If you are NOT already registered in the VUPACE system: you will be prompted to set up an account. You will then receive a confirmation email that will allow you to fill out the forms and process payment.
- The forms have a section to request financial aid.
- Applications are reviewed weekly.
CLICK HERE for guides to help with the registration process.
EMAIL email@example.com for help with technical issues.
EMAIL Alex. Rockafellar at firstname.lastname@example.org with general camp questions.